Correlation Analysis: Key Touch Points of the Patient Experience
Correlation Analysis: Same Day Callback vs Telephone Handled, and Same Day Callback vs Provider Ranking.
As would be expected, there is a strong relationship between the Telephone Handled aspect of the patient experience and the patient receiving a callback on the same day that they reached out to the practice.
The importance of handling the patient’s telephone call in a timely manner, and returning the patient’s call on the same day cannot be overstated; the over all impact, both good and bad, can be measured throughout the patient experience continuum.
TIPs and Techniques to Improve Same Day Callback Performance
- Collaborate with Providers and Staff to Develop written call-back guidelines and standards
- Set a same-day call-back cut-off time i.e. messages left after 4:00 PM will be returned the next morning by 10:00 AM
- Ensure call-back commitment-window can be consistently achieved by your team
- Advertise the cut-off time as often as possible with every patient — setting expectations is key
- Assign each message to a staff member for follow-up
- Track & communicate message return compliance
Above all else, call the patient back on the same day, even if an answer or resolution to the patients inquiry has not been realized. Let the patient know you and your team are working on getting the information the patient needs.